Tuesday, July 19, 2016

TRIP - Prague, Hong Kong, Taiwan [2016.07]

My once-a-year trip to Taiwan is here

Booked the below Mini-RTW Economy award in Sep 2015 at 75K Aeroplan miles + ~$200/person

  • YYZ-PRG on AC Rouge, stop 1
    • ACr 767 had no IFE, we watched on Tablets via onboard Wi-Fi
    • Seat pitch/width is okay
  • PRG-ZRH-HKG on LX 77W, destination 
    • Swiss 77W is 3-4-3, but we were okay, big IFE screens
    • Loved the new ZRH Midfield E terminal *A lounge with terrances/views
  • HKG-TPE on EVA Air, stop 2 = HOME
    • 7/7 was Typhoon night, surprised BR didn't cancel, but there was no rain/wind at all
  • TPE-YYZ on EVA Air
    • Upgraded to Elite class (empty), fast flight of 12.5 hrs only

Thoughts
Czech Republic - Karlovy Vary, Prague
KV was small, warm town. The hot springs or architectures weren't that special IMO
Prague - everybody loved it, said it's beautiful. I agreed, although for some reason it didn't impress me (vs. Paris). Food is average to pricey, people are generally warm. The general atmosphere is relaxed, beautiful sights (castle, old town, river, trams)

Hong Kong
Typical HK, hot, humid, lots of food. We only visited to visit local friends

Notes

  • HKG is my destination only to cap the YQ $ on my award, which is ~$28 per AC segment. If HKG wasn't my destination, YQ would be hundreds $$
  • Originally we were flying PRG-IST-PEK-HKG (2 stops) but due to IST bombing and AC waiver, we were able to stay 1 extra day in Prague to fly Swiss PRG-ZRH-HKG
  • I changed my original return TPE-NRT,HND-YYZ to nonstop BR TPE-YYZ. Change fee was ~$100 but I got back ~$100 also, not bad, considering bus from NRT->HND would've costs $40 CAD one-way already

No comments:

Post a Comment